Ottawa Photo Studio
4 Florence Street, Suite 203
Phone: (613) 233-8472
Canadian passport photo specifications:
• Photo must be 50 mm wide X 70 mm high.
• Be in color or black and white.
• Taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows, glare or flash reflections.
• Centered and taken straight on, with face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera.
• Taken with a neutral facial expression (eyes open and clearly visible, mouth closed, no smiling).
• Clear, sharp and in focus.
• Taken in front of a plain white background with a clear difference between your face and the background. Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tones.
• Sized so the height of the face measures between 31 mm and 36 mm from chin to crown of head (natural top of head).
• Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last 12 months).
• Original photos that are not digitally altered or taken from an existing photo.
• Professionally printed on plain, high quality photographic paper (photos printed at home and photos printed on heavy weight paper are not acceptable).
• The photographer (that's us) has to put their name and address on the back of 1 of the photos. We must also put the date on which the picture was taken on the back of the photo. The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.
• A guarantor has to certify that it's a true likeness of the applicant. We are not the guarantor. Your guarantor must clearly write on the back of one (1) photo: "I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)" and sign his or her name (unless you are applying to renew a passport, as no guarantor is necessary for renewals).
• Glasses, including tinted prescription glasses, may be worn in photos as long as the eyes are clearly visible and there is no glare in the glasses. Sunglasses and red eyes are unacceptable.
• There must be no reflection or glare on the face or glasses.
• Hats and head coverings must not be worn, unless it is worn daily for religious beliefs or medical reasons. However, your full face must be clearly visible and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
• Your hair can be down.
• Shadows are not acceptable. Lighting must be uniform to avoid shadows across the face or shoulders, around the ears or in the background.
• Child photos must follow the same rules indicated above.
• Photos must show the child’s head and shoulders only. Parent’s or child’s hands must not appear in the photo.
• Passport Canada recognizes the difficulty in obtaining a neutral expression of a newborn and will allow for some tolerance in this regard.
• If applying for a one-time replacement passport for a child, you must include a photo that has been taken within one month of the date the application is submitted.
Passport Offices in Ottawa
885 Meadowlands Drive East, Suite 115
Monday to Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
200 Promenade du Portage, Commercial Level 2
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.